Response: The person you are trying to reach is currently unavailable. Please try again later.
I attended the memorial service of a work colleague yesterday. Nothing shakes you up like death.
You think of your own mortality, where you are in life, what you have accomplished so far and what is still on your to-do list. For most of us, it’s a sombre moment. You realize just how many things you have been putting off.
“You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don’t worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” — Walter Hagen
When you are young, death is the last thing on your mind because naturally you still have a lot of time.
However, as you get older you find that a lot of time have passed, but you are mostly in the same spot. Yes, you may have gotten married, had 2.5 kids, a dog, and a hamster, but still, not much has changed.
Because you’ve put the Caller named Life on hold.
There is something more important taking up your time right now, like:
- scrolling through your Instagram feed
- posting another selfie
- binge-watching your favourite series on Netflix
- gobbling down another pizza and beer on Friday night
- going to a soul-crushing job every day that you hate
The Caller named Life is patient.
He will try to reach you again. Perhaps through a different line.
- you or someone in your family falling seriously ill
- losing a loved one
- you losing your job or getting retrenched
- your car breaking down
- the landlord telling you that he is selling the place and you need to be out in 30 days
- the credit card company cancelling your cards and giving you 30 days to pay up
You are in a sorry state and wonder, why is this happening to me.
Because you put Life on hold.
It’s not too late. Let’s start today to pick up the call of life and start living.
Do some reflection and soul-searching. Write down the things that will make you happy and enjoy life. Write down the steps of how you plan to achieve those.
Do things like:
- Tell those dearest to you that you love them, that you are grateful for them
- Hug your spouse or your kids, or your dog
- If you stay far away from your parents, surprise them with a call or visit. They won’t be around forever
- If you feel you deserve a raise, take the courage and approach the boss. If you don’t ask, the answer will always be no.
- Plant a tree in your garden. If you can, let it be a peach tree. Peaches in summer from your own garden, pure bliss. If you don’t have a garden, get some indoor plants. Just looking at a new flower growing gives you the reassurance that we are all beautifully and wonderfully made in the image of God.
- Say hello to your neighbour. All you may get is a surprised look, but do it again and again and soon you’ll be having sundowners over the fence.
- Switch off the tv and grab a book. It’s the best way to spend a Sunday afternoon. You’ll be wiser, calmer and you didn’t spend any money.
- Exercise, it’s the best investment you can make in your life.
Life is calling you. Are you going to answer?